4/ Organize
Sick leave and health insurance

You’re entitled to sick leave from the beginning.

Are you insured by your parents? What’s your health insurance called? Do you have an insurance card? Are you publicly or privately insured? Are the so-called “elective benefits” being paid?

Put all the insurance documents and correspondence in a folder.

Sick leave from a general practitioner or internist makes sense if you do not want to give your employer any indication of your cancer.

Jessi30, Draftswoman,
Thyroid Cancer

Keep track of things – write journal. Write down the medical treatments and progress, but also your feelings and fears. At your doctor’s:

  • Prepare for the doctor’s visit with a list of your questions. Write down the answers. If you don’t understand something, ask.
  • You have a right to view all your findings, images, laboratory values, histology (tissue findings), etc. Have copies of everything sent to you and keep them.
  • You’re entitled to a second medical opinion.

If you have any questions about the topic of “job and money” and in particular for matters concerning health insurance, pension insurance or other authorities and institutions, you can always contact the YOUNG CANCER PORTAL.

Here you can find more information about your patient rights (in German).

Take photos and scans of your medical reports and findings. Save it on your smartphone, so you always have it with you.

Contact person

Kristina Lehmann

T: +49 (0)30 28 09 30 56 0

write an email


Joint activities, exchange and networking of young cancer patients in many cities and regions of Germany.